Electric Conservation Tips
- Turn up the thermostat for Air Conditioning (AC): every degree higher saves 3% of your bill (set the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher).
- Keep your AC coils dust free and the change the filter several times per year.
- Use a fan when possible rather than running your air conditioner.
- Close doors and vents in rooms you aren’t using.
- Unplug appliances like TVs, computers and DVDs when you will be gone for several days; they use electricity even when not turned on.
- Close doors and windows when air conditioning and heating.
- Switch out your light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs (Savings: $50 per year)
- Clean your refrigerator coils underneath and behind using a vacuum cleaning hose and duster to increase efficiency. Also make sure the door seal is good by inserting a dollar bill between the seal and test to see if there is resistance when pulled out. (Savings: $115 per year)